History of St. Mark Lutheran
Hanover was founded by Scots-Irish Col. Richard McAllister but settled predominantly by German people--first church was St. Matthew Lutheran Church in 1743.
Dec. 19, 1863, one month after Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, group of Lutherans wanted to start a church with services spoken in English instead of German.
Jan. 1863, Carlisle St. chosen as location.
July 20, 1864, cornerstone laid.
March 11, 1865, Rev. Monroe J. Alleman became first minister to new congregation.
Aug. 12, 1865, care of tower clock given over to Borough Council--regulating lives and businesses of Hanover for over 90 years.
Sept. 24, 1865, St. Mark Lutheran Church formerly dedicated.
1868-1875 Rev. George Parson
1876-1883 Rev. Daniel Schindler
Mar. 8, 1883, congregation voted to enlarge existing structure to install a pipe organ
End of 1883, William Grumbine presented a 2,028-pd. bell manufactured by J. Regester and Sons, Baltimore, to St. Mark. This bell had been rung for Oriole festival parades and preceded torchlight procession of floats and parade groups each year--1881-1883. On Dec. 3, 1883, it became a much beloved voice to generations within range of its resonance.
1884-1887 Rev. George Scholl.
Feb. 24, 1884, annex completed
1887-1912 Rev. Charles M. Stock
Summer 1906, tubular chimes installed in church tower.
1912-1925 Rev. George W. Nicely
June 7, 1914, cornerstone laid for another building expansion--4-manual organ was installed, built in Boston--the first 4-manual organ in Hanover!!!
1923-1924, St. Mark church expanded further by purchasing more adjacent properties
1925-1953 Rev. Dr. John S. Tome
1929, the congregation decided to grow and needed to move but Depression interfered.
1936, Howard E. Young established the J. S. Young Memorial Fund to build new church but plans stalled due to Depression and World War 2.
1953-1968 Rev. Edgar D. Ziegler
September 1954, plans started to sell Carlisle Street property and purchase current location. The cornerstone was laid on October 20, 1956.
St. Mark Bell, after 75 years of service, sent to McShane Bell Foundry for reconditioning. June 27, 1958, the bell was restored to the new tower.
Organ also needed refurbishing and it was sent to M. P. Moller Co. in Hagerstown, MD. Upon its return, the new console and main organ were situated in the choir loft at the new St. Mark in November. Christmas Eve 1958 marked first services held in the nave.
1968-1976 Rev. Ray E. Blanset. Growth during his tenure allowed for 2 assistant pastors.
1977-1980 Rev. Gerald A. Krum (historical records make reference to lots of "struggles" during this time resulting in loss of 2/3 of the congregation)
1980-1985 Rev. William H. Beck
1985 St. Mark was under Synod Administration with two temporary ministers:
1985-1986 Rev. Ronald E. Pierson
1986-1988 Rev. Glenn D. Miller
1989 Rev. Eric B. and Rev. Joanne P. Stenman because pastors until 2006
2001 Weekly communion was started. Saturday evening worship for summer months was started and made it a full-time worship as participation increased.
Jan. 1, 2008 Rev. Kirk A. Griffin
2008 Celebrated 50 years in the Charles street Sanctuary
Jan. 2013 St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church of McSherrystown joined with St. Mark
2013 Held special 150th anniversary worship and luncheon with special guest Bishop James Dunlop.
2021 Completed replacement of the roof on the entire facility.